Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A Phony

I decided last night that I am a fraud. Yep, that's right, me = a fraud. After I heated up a can of red pepper and lentil soup for my son's dinner last night, and later packed the leftovers for his lunch the next day, I realized how official and homemade the soup looked. And then it occurred to me that his teachers at school must think his mom (that's me!) sends him good, nutritious, homemade lunches every day. That's when it hit me - I am a phony, a fake. I really have to get it together, I decided, after my sudden revelation. Maybe I could squeeze in some impromptu cooking time after my son was in bed. Yes, that could work - right after the laundry and right before bottle washing. Or wait, wasn't that the only twenty minutes of "me" time I had allotted myself for the day? Hmmm. Maybe I'd have to keep up the facade of Chef Mama for a few more days. Yeah, that sounded like the best plan. I'd have to rework our schedule to arrange for more cooking time later in the week...

3 comments:

  1. you are no phony! :-p I keep meaning to tell you about this book, Eating Animals - I'm going to buy it soon about this man who has a son and struggles with the decision of raising him a vegetarian - it's supposed to be great. I'll lend it to you when I'm done if I ever get around to buying it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. April - you are doing your best every day. Give your self a break everyday. Your son is happy, healthy and adorable. If his soup is not homemade, it is not showing in the least! Being a mom is the hardest job in the world (f%^* the army) Your son will remember that he is loved:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even want to tell you what I fed my son sometimes just because I was too tired to make a homecooked meal from a hard day at work and school. He eats healthier than me! He eats everything I don't.and taught himself to cook healthy...so don't worry.

    ReplyDelete