Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Sebastian's Mom

I've been thinking a lot lately, about how wonderfully special it is to be Sebastian's mom. Initially, hearing someone refer to me as Sebastian's mom had a weird effect on me. I would immediately long for my old self, the me before being, simply put, knocked up. But something happened this second year as Sebastian's mom. An extremely rewarding feeling of pride now comes over me every time I hear someone say Sebastian's mom. And oddly, the other day at his school, when Izzie's mom (who I have known now for over a year) asked me what my name is, and introduced herself as Lea, I felt a little lopsided, a bit unbalanced. I no longer cared to be April. I no longer cared to know that Izzie's mom was Lea. All that mattered, and all that seems to continue to matter, is being Sebastian's mom. A mom to such a silly, active, happy, eager, bouncy little boy. My love for this little curly-topped boy, who cheered and pointed and bounced around excitedly this a.m. while we strolled through Times Square, is immeasurable. Being Sebastian's mom has become bigger and greater than any duty, job, role, responsiblity, I could ever undertake. This one position, as Sebastian's mom, outdoes everything. I once (or maybe several times) said (pre-baby) "I never want to be known as just someone's mom, I want to be more than that." A fool said those words. A naive girl who had no idea how big and proud an accomplishment being Sebastian's mom would be. So instead of reminiscing and wishing I was that girl again, I'm finally at a place in my single mamahood life where I can honestly say I'm content that I will never be that person again. That I am now, a new, better, wiser, stronger, more experienced person. And I'm so darn happy to be known as Sebastian's mom.

3 comments:

  1. I,m a mother of 5 wonderful children and i love it very much. And i also stared my own business. It's a coffee business.my business gives me time to raise my children and work at my own time.This coffee is a healthy coffee that gives u energy,boost the immune, and helps people to loose weight etc etc.We also have hot chocolate for the kids and it boost their immune system,helps them to sleep better. check out my site www.cefrancis.organogold.com the business opportunity www.ogcoffeepays.com thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coffee sounds good right now yummy. I have no business thinking about coffee at midnight but my day just started right? My little guy just fell asleep...again. I love your post. Makes me tear up. Being a mom really is special. An unconditional love that nothing tops. Its so exciting to watch the evolution of the little peanut that was born, to an active little person who responds. I hear my little guy speak back to me all the time.. I swear. He mumbles but it sounds sk much like the right answer. The other day i said i love you and j could swear i heard i love you back as he put his hand in my hair. Who knows maybe it was telepathic lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that really put things into perspective. Being his mom and raising him to be a productive member of society and representing his upbringing is who you are now. I think its great, you should be proud to be Sebastians Mom he seems like such a little treasure.

    ReplyDelete