Friday, May 27, 2011

Single Mama Raising a Boy

It's an interesting thing, raising a boy solo, as a girl. I find myself wondering if it's okay that my son mimics me and wants to do things because I do them. For example, I find myself saying things like "Look Bubba, Mama has jeans. Sebastian has jeans." Or "You have cool sneakers like mama's sneakers." These statements seem to work to get him to want to wear his jeans or put his shoes on right then and there. He wants to be like Mama. And why shouldn't he? Right? Right?

This morning my son grabbed my blush brush and started putting bronzer on my face. It was cute, harmless. He was merely copying something he's seen me do every morning before we leave for school/work. He wanted to be helpful. He then grabbed my bracelets and put them on his little arm and held his arms up at waist level so they wouldn't dangle off. Extremely cute. The other day he tried to put my earrings on. They wouldn't stay, obviously, because he doesn't have his ears pierced. I don't mind that my son does these things. I know it's done out of simple curiousity and because this is what he's surrounded by at home, with me; only me. But I do wonder, what happens as he gets older and starts to see more boy-like things from others, from school mates. How will he learn to do "those" types of things well, when I may not be able to teach him (i.e. tie a tie, the rules of football)? Will he be well rounded enough? I do wonder about these things. But I don't dwell too much...or at least I try not to. After all, today after he put on my bronzer and eventually gave me back my bracelets, he ran to get his basketball and started bouncing it and throwing it around the hallway, laughing harmoniously each time it bounced against the air conditioner vent...leaving me standing there thinking "oh yes, I have a boy, alright."

No comments:

Post a Comment