Thursday, February 24, 2011

Single-parent households: Are they that bad?

I was at a volunteer arts day yesterday working on art projects with kids between 8-10 years old. The coordinator said something during the introduction to the volunteers that struck a chord with me. It was something along the lines of "these kids don't get to do stuff like this everyday - many come from single-parent households". Now, I do understand that often times in a single-parent household the mother works and doesn't usually have as much time to spend working on random projects and activities with the kid(s) compared to say a stay at home mom. But, why the constant stereotype that says: if a kid is raised by a single-parent they are worse off? What about the two-parent households that have two working parents? Or where there are other problems taking place? Aren't those worse off? Yes, I work Monday - Friday which means my son spends about 9 hours at daycare everyday. Yes, I wish I had more time during the week to play with him and work on "art" projects. BUT I do have evenings and weekends. And I do spend time playing with paint and crayons, taking my son to museums and play areas, reading to him, talking to him, teaching him. I really don't think we spend less time on these things compared to other families. I know raising a kid in a single-parent household is not ideal, I get that - I know the struggle. But it really isn't the worse thing that could happen. It doesn't mean that my son is at a disadvantage. Yes, it could mean that, but it doesn't have to. And in the case of my son and I - it is not the case. My son has family other than myself, grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles. He has many people to spend time teaching him things and working on projects with him. I really hope he is not seen as a kid with a disadvantage or that people feel sorry for him. Because despite, not having his father around, my son is a very lucky boy and will not go without. My little boy will have lots of time to spend working on art projects. Unless, of course, he decides playing sports or singing is a lot more fun....(I could have given birth to the next Kobe or Ne-yo!).  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment