Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Breakfast with Santa

Last week was Breakfast with Santa at Sebastian's school (aka daycare). I took the morning off so I could be there with him. I have to say, I was very excited about it. There's something about re-experiencing all these little traditions that I really enjoy. Sebastian at his age doesn't really get it but that's okay, he will soon. Maybe next year. But this year, what he does get is the excitement of the lights and colors everywhere. He seems to love Christmas trees. (Yay, because I do too.) Although, he doesn't seem to like Santa very much. He wouldn't go near the guy. I guess I wouldn't either if I was looking at Santa from a toddler's vantage point. A big, burly guy with a white beard in a red, fluffly outfit. Hmmm. Who invented this outfit anyway? Better yet, who is his stylist? I'm sure there's a book out there I've missed that explains this look. Something else to research and add to my increasingly growing To-Do list.

But back to Sebastian's Breakfast with Santa...a quick synopsis:
The kids all got seated around a long rectangular table where the older kids ate a breakfast of eggs and pancakes. The younger ones (Sebastian's class) sat along the wall, around the older kids looking around with their eyes bright and full of interest. What was all the excitement and noise about? They seemed to ask. Sebastian sat in his little chair with his legs dangling off the edge and smiled across the room at me. I, of course, was snapping pictures. (Any chance for a photo opp!) Christmas carols played in the background as Santa Clause made his big entrance. Whoah! Some of the older kids exclaimed. Sebastian and his two BFFs, Izzie and Morgan, looked a bit frightened. Santa said hello to all and then sat in front of the tree for photos and story telling. The kids gathered about. Sebastian and his group, stayed put. They did not want to go near the guy.  Presents were soon distributed from Santa's big, brown bag. The older kids yelled in excitement. As soon as Sebastian noticed gifts nearby, he attempted to open them. It wasn't that he wanted to take the other kids' gifts, it's that he loves wrapping paper and boxes and wanted to help out (and maybe take some wrapping paper home). A few kids, grabbed their gifts from him. Sebastian looked confused. I whispered to him that it was okay, his gift was coming. Alas, the third to last gift that came out of the big, brown bag was Sebastian's. And a big, wrapped box it was. He tried to pull the wrapping apart but it was suddenly time for his picture with Santa. He started grabbing onto me for dear life and wouldn't let me put him anywhere near Santa. Oh well. I took him back to his present and he went back to pulling the paper off. Maybe next year we'd get some good pics with Santa. This year it simply wasn't going to happen. ::shoulder shrug:: After all the presents were opened, Santa said farewell and a "Hohoho" and off he went. The kids all walked in a single file line back to their classrooms. I made sure my little man was settled in, playing with his buddies and then gave him a kiss good bye, and off to work I went...smiling and thinking: Wow, my little munchkin is getting so big...

Did anyone else have breakfast or pictures with Santa?

No comments:

Post a Comment