Thursday, December 23, 2010

Picky Eater

Is anyone else dealing with a picky eater? My son has recently become extremely picky with food and seems to only want to eat fruit, yogurt and bread. No veggies, no protein. The night before last he was served a plate of steamed veggies and rice - phewtuey - he spit it all out (he has recently mastered the art of spitting - Oh where oh where do they learn these things?!). Another plate was served to him - tofu and bananas - phewtuey - out it went...with a little bit of tofu landing on the floor and quickly eaten by the dog, aka Pachita. A (fake) chick'n nugget - yep, you guessed it - onto the floor with the rest of Pachita's new dinner. What did Sebastian end up eating for dinner this night? An oatmeal raisin cookie. Yep, that's it, a cookie - for dinner. (All I have to say is - at least it was a homemade cookie.)

And then last night, Sebastian was served a plate of brown rice and kidney beans with corn on the cob - it all ended up on the floor with the corn on the cob way over by the television. He used to love rice, beans and corn. But apparently not this week. Next, I served him pasta with spinach in a homemade tomato sauce - phewtuey - out it went. I made one last attempt and cut up a grilled cheese - of course I found it on the floor a few seconds later. At one point, I thought we were making progress after giving him a cheese stick and seeing that he was biting and chewing, until a few minutes later, when I found the chewed up cheese in his bib pocket. He was biting, chewing and spitting! ::sigh:: What did he end up eating for dinner this night? Raisins. A box of raisins. ::deep sigh::

I'm taking suggestions as to what I can do to get my 15 month old to eat more veggies and protein...although if you are going to try to convince me to give him chicken or meat - I don't want to hear it. Is anyone having or have had this problem? If so, please share.

Oh and if you were wondering what I do with all the uneaten food that is made for and then turned down by my son, it's simple - I eat it. Yep, the grilled cheese, pasta and rice and beans - in one sitting. I now know and understand why it is so hard for moms to stay in shape. Our kids' leftovers become our demise...

*Full disclaimer: Just because I mention something is homemade does not mean it was made from my home. Okay, whew, glad I got that off my chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment